MorePeace.org - Peace Potluck - Hosting Suggestions
Subject: INVITATION: Peace Pot
Luck - Thursday March 6, 2003
Melora and I are very concerned about the Bush administration's desire to invade Iraq, for several reasons
1. Saddam is a brutal dictator, and no one pretends otherwise. But Saddam isn't the one who will suffer in the event of war. The Iraqi people have virtually no control over these events, yet they are the ones who will suffer the most. Many thousands are likely to be killed, maimed or left homeless.
2. Bush speaks of "fighting terrorism". But a war on Iraq would immediately rain terror on hundreds of thousands of Iraqi citizens. "Terror to fight terror" is wrong.
3. A US invasion of Iraq would breed MORE worldwide terrorism, not less. Bush's arrogant disregard for rest of the world community is precisely what causes the deep-rooted hatred toward America that breeds terrorism like we experienced on 9/11/01.
4. Invading a nation that has not attacked us, nor shown clear and immediate plans to attack us, is horribly wrong. That's exactly what Japan did at Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941.
5. A preemptive invasion of Iraq would set an extremely dangerous precedent for other nations of the world. Other nations may be all too willing to follow our example and invade their own favorite "enemy states" that they think MIGHT threaten them in the future.
6. UN weapons inspections clearly ARE working. They are preventing Saddam from amassing weapons that could threaten the world. Every day the inspections continue is another small victory for peace and world security.
Millions of people around the world are speaking out against this war. We sincerely hope that you and others will also.
If you find yourself in the Boston
area, we invite you to join us for a letter-writing potluck dinner:
PEACE POTLUCK - Letter Writing Potluck Dinner
6:30pm Thurs Mar 6, 2003
at the home of David Booth, Melora Rush, etc.
(Give street address)
(Give a link to your address on Yahoo Maps)
Phone: (Give phone)
Our home has 2 cats and is not baby proofed, though supervised children are welcome.
Paper, pens, envelopes, stamps
Printer for any who choose to bring laptop computer
Names and addresses of potential recipients (representatives, newspaper editors, UN security council, etc.)
A main course
A food or beverage (non-alcoholic) if you can. If you can't, come anyway!
Optional: laptop computer (preferably with floppy drive, wireless or network card)
ALL ARE WELCOME. Please pass this invitation on to anyone else who might be interested. Thanks!
David & Melora
P.S. We strongly recommend www.moveon.org. They have done an excellent job of making it easy to take action on these and other important issues.